press release: As a closing celebration of the Caja de visiones exhibition, MMoCA organizes a FREE Cartonera community workshop in the lobby of the museum. Learn how to make cartoneras, small colorful publications made from recycled paper and personalized cardboard covers.
Participants have the potential to win a exhibition catalog for Caja de visiones! Please scroll to Competition: free exhibition catalog section for more information on how to participate in the giveaway.
Those with reservations can come anytime between 1 and 3 p.m.
- Admission to the workshop is free. Reservations are strongly suggested to guarantee admission, due to limited capacity. Masks are mandatory for this event.
- In addition to pre-booked seats through Eventbrite, walk-ins will be available the same day, but you may be asked to explore the galleries until a seat becomes available. please call (608) 257-0158 if you want to check availability.
- Please cancel your reservation if you cannot make it so that someone else can reserve a spot.
Cartonera workshops are an intersection between social movement, artistic interventions and community projects. Axolote is a Madison-based cartonera who has conducted cartonera workshops focusing on human rights abuses. For this workshop, we focus on our identities. Our identities are not static, but rather constantly changing based on our experiences as we move through the world. We will ask, “Who am I now? ¿Quién soy ahorita?” As a way to reflect on ourselves in these difficult times of the pandemic. We will identify who we are and how we feel at this time in our lives and create art for our book covers.
Cartoneras reuses materials, striving to achieve zero waste. They started in Argentina, using recycled cardboard when the economic crisis hit. During Axolote Cartonera, we successfully salvaged materials from past MMoCA art projects, cardboard boxes from Museum staff online purchases and moves, and old art supplies.
Axolote Cartonera is guided by Dr Beltran Minehan (she/her/her), artist Nadya Mariam (they/her/her) and doctoral student Denise Castillo (her/her). And you, the artist transforming your book.
Caja de visiones: Arte moderno y contemporáneo de México en el Medio Oeste de los Estados Unidos is visible until January 23, 2022. Admission to the museum is free.
Here’s a chance to bring the exhibit home! Participants have a chance to win a free exhibition catalog for Caja de visiones, full of colorful reproductions of the artworks featured in the exhibition. Upon entering the event, you can enter your name for the giveaway. Two giveaways will take place at 1:45 p.m. and another at 2:45 p.m. It is your responsibility to report to reception prior to departure to see if you have won a catalog.
Covid policy for participants
- Due to concerns about the highly transmissible Omicron variant of the coronavirus, the MMoCA is again requiring visitors to wear masks inside the museum, regardless of their vaccination status.
- Masks are encouraged outdoors when social distancing cannot easily be maintained and when interacting with Museum staff.
- Event capacities at the MMoCA have been limited to allow enough room for social distancing between guests.