Massive fire breaks out at plastics factory in Ludhiana, 2 workers critical

0

Two workers suffered more than 90% burns after a major fire broke out at a plastics factory in Sundar Nagar on Monday night

The fire started at Sawan Plastics on 70-Feet Road around 6 p.m. It is suspected that the fire was caused by a short circuit.

The workers, Sarwan, 18, and Kaliram, 40, were transferred to Christian Medical College and Hospital, where they are believed to be in critical condition. CMC deputy medical director Dr. Amit Gulrez said the victims suffered third-degree burns to their face, chest and legs. The owner of the unit also lives on the first floor of the building, but was evacuated in time.

Panic gripped the area and plumes of black smoke were seen rising from the place. In videos shared on social media, tall flames could be seen engulfing the unit. Firefighters say adequate fire arrangements had not been made in the unit.

Atish Rai, Fire NCO (SFO), said five firefighters were dispatched to the scene and it took about half an hour to bring the flames under control.

Police Station Officer (SHO), Daresi Police Station, Rajinderpal Singh said the police visited the site and also visited CMC Hospital, where the defendants are being treated. “No complaints have yet been received in this case,” he said.

A fire breaks out at the tavern

It was a close shave for a worker after a fire broke out at a tavern near Chowk Police Colony on Chandigarh Road on Monday.

The fire started around 9:15 a.m. due to a short circuit in the transformer installed at the back of the tavern, and the flames quickly spread because the tavern was mainly made of wood and bamboo and of a steel shed.

A worker was sleeping inside the unit, but was able to come out at the right time after his colleagues raised the alarm. Air conditioners and LEDs, among other big-ticket items, were gutted. A nearby liquor store was also damaged due to the strong flames. Cars parked near the tavern have been removed from the area.

Unit owner Vishal said after a short circuit in the transformer, flames spread through the tavern within minutes. “We suffered a loss of approximately 5,000,000. Fortunately, no casualties or injuries were reported,” he added.

High-voltage electrical wires above the tavern were also damaged, causing a power outage in Sector 32, among other adjacent areas.

Share.

Comments are closed.